Had to do it, sorry. We've fortunately got the opposite of a Panic! situation with discs. We've always sought to under-promise and over-deliver, which at times has caused us to have to do some very fancy dancing (see what I did there?) behind the scenes. This time, we've been guiding to a nebulous, milquetoast "this summer" or "sometime in July" availability date for Nimbus Ti Disc, hoping that we wouldn't wind up with egg on our faces at that. Well, no egg - Nimbus Ti Disc builds ship in June.
This is what's known as a teaser spot, so we won't be revealing all the details here. Here are the things we will say right now:
- Hubs are center lock. After using center locks for the past year, I'm never going back to 6 bolts. If you plan to use Shimano brakes, you have to use center lock hubs if you want to maintain your brake warranty, as IceTech(tm) rotors only come in center lock.
- Ti cassette body (duh, we couldn't call it Nimbus Ti Disc otherwise), steel rear axle.
- Pacenti SL25s will be the standard rim, with the same ultra sexy bead blast finish as the updated SL23 road rim that's been such a huge hit in the Nimbus Ti builds.
- Black Lasers will again be the stock spoke.
- Hub color and graphics will be the same as Nimbus Ti.
- Builds will ship with our new tubeless tape installed.
- Lacing choices will be 24/24, 24/28, and 28/28. 2x lacing on everything.
- Set weights will start at 1580g for 24/24 and go up to 1640g for 28/28. That's pretty light.
- Pricing will be great, though slightly higher than Nimbus Ti (which it should be since costs are higher - if the price wasn't higher it would mean we hadn't priced Nimbus Ti as low as possible. But we have.)
- There will be 15mm TA and 142x12 fitment options.
Here is what's going on in the background now, not ready for release:
- Tubeless CX tire testing has begun. We'll give you way better info than any other brand does on what to use and how to set it up.
- Tubulars will be available. The "disc specific aluminum tubular" market is fairly limited, but there are some very good options.
- Carbon tubulars will also be available. We're in the tortured throes of deciding between two great options, both produced by the company that does Rail rims for us.
- XD driver is unlikely.
There's been a ton of interest already, so we're going to open up for pre-sales in about 10 days. This is more like giving out numbers at the deli counter, not like a pre-sale.